From its opening in 1921, the Llandarcy Oil Refinery was a major industrial landmark in South Wales. As Britain's first crude oil refinery, BP Llandarcy was a major employer in the region with a 2,000-strong workforce at the peak of operations during the 1970s.
In the mid-1980s, BP stopped processing crude oil and half of the refinery was closed. BP started decommissioning the oil refinery in 1987. By 2008 all remaining operations ceased and, as the new site owner, St. Modwen subsequently started to demolish, recycle and remove the remaining buildings to pave the way for the redevelopment of the site.
The Bath House Complex and former BP service buildings were demolished at the end of 2008 to make way for a new gateway into Coed Darcy. The final phase of demolition works including 80,000 sq ft of BP offices, a Bitumen Terminal and associated buildings was completed at the start of 2010.